history of the group
HOME >> ENGLISH >> THE GROUP >> HISTORY
Group's history dates back to the Ottoman era, with the first shipyard of Giannoulis and George Paleokrassas, son of Giannoulis at Stenies, isle of Andros. The shipyard eventually emerged as a merchant marine hub with ships built in Syros, such as "New Fortune" which was constructed in 1879 and the "Plumou", which was built and registered in 1893. They moved on to steam shipping and they were eventually involved in the trade of steel vessels which they sold immediately after the Second World War and used the proceeds to purchase properties in Kolonaki, Kifissia and Patissia thus converting the shipping fortune into Real Estate. At the same time, Peter Paleocrassas' daughter Irene was married to Nikiforos Th. Charagionis, founder of Charagionis Group, with whom he later became partner at "Acropole" pastry shop, located at the Municipal Theatre of Piraeus.

Group's founder, Nikiforos Th. Charagionis had moved to Athens from Karystos to work beside his aunt who owned the cinema High Life and the confectionery "Select" in the center of Piraeus. When he turned 18, he run himself both companies. Meanwhile, he and a friend of his created a transformer trading small business intended to enable operation of 110V-powered units which the Greek immigrants were sending to be used for our 220V powering systems.

At this prime phase, Nikiforos Charagionis left to fight on the Albanian front. Later he joined a resistance organization and his efforts to avoid being arrested, he fled to the Middle East where, after joining the Greek army, was awarded a prize by the commander of the allied forces for his contribution in the liberation of Europe.

Upon his return to Greece in 1945, he set up his own confectionery in Piraeus, the well-known at that time "Acropole".The confectionery was subjected to continuous expansion, finally reaching 1,000 sq. m., but it closed down in 1988 when the family focused on other activities such as retail trade and especially real estate development.